Analytics Tracking

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Aunt Geri's Magic Cookie Bar



I was fortunate enough to visit Nick's Aunt while we were traveling and even luckier to be invited to dinner!  She made delicious cornbread, homemade mac and cheese, and dessert was a plate of homemade shortbread and these Magic Cookie Bars (which I couldn't get enough of).  I enjoyed them so much that I ate 2 and happily said "yes!" to taking 3 more with me for breakfast (Note: NOT a healthy breakfast) the next day.

There are several things I can never resist and chocolate and condensed milk being two of them.    This recipe combines both in the best possible way....it adds a butter graham cracker crust, pecans and coconut into the mix to become the most addictive square that goes perfectly with a cup of tea or coffee.  Aunt Geri sent me the recipe soon afterwards and I was glad to find out they are surprisingly easy to make.  This is definitely dangerous for my waistline.  :-D



Aunt Geri's Magic Cookie Bar
Makes One 12 x 9 cookie sheet, about 24 bars.
approx prep time: 20 min
approx cook time: 20-25 min

INGREDIENTS: 
2 cups graham wafer crumbs (I used a food processor)
3/4 cups  (175 ml) melted butter
1 can (300 ml) regular or low fat Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) of chopped pecans, semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I prefer PC decadent chocolate chip brand)
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) of flaked coconut

HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 Celsius ).
-Combine graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter.
- Press the mixture evenly over parchment lined 13 X 9 inch (3.5 L) baking pan
- Pour Eagle brand evenly over crumbs.
- Sprinkle with pecans, chocolate chips and coconut. press down firmly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool thoroughly (and I'm seriously about this as I usually don't have the patience, it cuts and comes out of the pan a lot cleaner if you wait) and cut into approximate 24 bars or 2 inch squares for bite size..
- Store loosely covered at room temperature or put in fridge or the freezer for later.  It's best the 2nd day, but I like to eat them warm and gooey.  :-)




I'm linking up with:

5 comments:

  1. This is evil! Especially with the new year and the hopes if losing some of this baby weight! But, boy am I glad you posted it! I love living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) There's still about a dozen 2.5 inch squares left and every time I have a cup of tea I eat one. They are very very dangerous to the waist line. Other then the pecans, there is nothing really healthy about them at all, and that's why they taste so good! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the magic is in how fast they disappear. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your bars up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo yes I've made these! and couldn't stop eating them! soo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I couldn't agree more Molly! They are too addictive and easy to make. So delicious. :-D

    ReplyDelete