This beef stew is one of my favorites beef stews out there. Instead of just stewing beef, Nick often makes it with beef ribs and prime rib chunks that bring so much more flavor and much thicker then other beef stews because of all the bones and fat. Easy to assemble in the morning, and then just set it and forget it till dinner! Bake a batch of biscuits (if we're lazy we just use a tube of Pillsbury) to go with the stew for dinner, and you've got a hearty meal.
approx prep time: 15min
approx cook time: 7 hours
- 3 to 4 large beef ribs, with as much meat on them as possible. (If the ribs you can get are a bit on the lean side, add in about 1/2lbs of stewing beef or a strip steak diced into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 large potato
- 1 medium size sweet potato
- 1 large carrot or 1 handful of baby carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 red, orange or yellow pepper
- 1 handful of fresh green beans or sugar snap peas
- 1 large onion
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp vegetable seasoning
- 1 tbsp seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Chop potatoes into 1.5" cubes, leaving the skin on the potato, but peeling the sweet potato first.
- Chop vegetables into 1.5" cubes (leave peas and baby carrots whole).
- Dust all ingredients lightly with flour.
- In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients. I suggest placing the beef ribs in the bottom and stacking/cramming the vegetables on top. When the slow cooker is roughly half filled, add the beef bullion cube, seasoning, and remaining flour.
- Once full, pour in approx. 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup of water.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours. Do not remove the lid until the last hour of cooking.
- When cooked, remove beef bones, and stir thoroughly.
- Serve hot and with a side of biscuits (optional).