This would be the quickie version of jambalaya. Not fussy, quick, easy, healthy, tasty and on the table with relative ease. :-) You can basically substitute with any vegetables or meats in the fridge. Last time, we had roast beef jambalaya (recipe HERE) which was basically a bacon and beef version. :-) A great alternative to pasta. Try it sometime.
CHICKEN AND SHRIMP JAMBALAYA
approx prep time: 20min
approx cook time: 45min
- 1 large Red, Yellow or Orange bell pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 large white onion
- 1 large carrot
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 cup of large shrimps, peeled, with tail removed
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 bottle of Tomato Sauce or Pasta Sauce
- 1tbsp Vegetable Seasoning
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2tbsp olive oil
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Cook the rice according to the directions on it's packaging.
- Dice vegetables (Onion, Zucchini, pepper, carrot, celery) into medium size pieces and set aside.
- Dice chicken, and set aside.
- very finely chop garlic.
- When the rice is almost ready, heat two large non-stick fry pans over medium heat.
- In the first pan, add 1tbsp of oil, all the vegetables, garlic and vegetable seasoning, stirring often.
- In the second pan, add 1tbsp oil, and all of the chicken. Stir frequently.
- Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper while cooking.
- When the chicken is cooked add it to the vegetable mix and using the same pan cook the shrimp, along with a little more pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add rice, pasta/tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, and if desired additional seasoning to the vegetables.
- Add cooked shrimp to the vegetables.
- Mix well, and cook for 1-2 minutes on low.
- Serve hot!